Wednesday 3 April 2013

Road to the desert...

It's almost here, a matter of days away as opposed to years and months. I have been measuring out bags of granola and milk powder into little plastic bags, labelling everything by it's day to be eaten and calorie content; going all out Howard Hughes basically, minus the peeing into milk bottles. Despite all this it still doesn't feel real....yet.

I have had a great week or so leading up to the event. My girlfriend Tiffany has visited me and as a keen runner herself (watch out triathlon scene) she has been running with me which is always a pleasure. It's been awesome spending the evenings cooking, going out for meals watching a movie etc. instead of compulsively researching lighter kit, how to pack a running bag, where are the toilets in the desert etc. She is very good at distracting me from my MdS curse. Also I had my parents and nan come down to deepest Devon where we enjoyed some pub grub and they wished me well on my travels. I appreciate the stress and strain an event like MdS can put on friends and family, but I'm lucky to have a great bunch surrounding me who want me to enjoy the experience and do well (none more so then my new work colleagues, thanks guys!)


My tapering tactics over the last 10 days have been ruled by how I feel on a day to day basis. I'd go on a 10K if I felt good, I would stay if the legs were tired. That's pretty much it. I had such a top run out with Tiffany and Tiago (who is running a 52 mile event in May!) this week, I actually enjoyed training again! I'm off out for a 5 miler today with Tiffany, slightly because I feel I need to keep the muscles ticking over and slightly because I feel guilty about that Devonshire cream tea yesterday!



Triple Chicken


My bag is packed, 17,000 calories and limited luxury. It went into my 20l backpack surprisingly easy and currently weighs around 6.8 kg. I expect that with the essential pieces of kit handed out in the desert, plus water, it will weigh around 9kg. Joy.



The Kit


All in


I would just like to thank everyone who has donated to my JustGiving page thus far, supporting both me and the mighty RSPB. I bloody love all of you! If you haven't yet and would like to donate here is the link. Cheers! 



Driving to Gatwick today and will meet up with the Northern Tent comrades tomorrow which will no doubt be a laugh. A night in 5 star luxury, admin checks in the desert and then on Sunday I begin the hardest challenge of my life. Bring it.


Keep Right On






No comments:

Post a Comment