Friday 22 March 2013

Back in the game...

After many physio sessions, cycling outings, leg exercises and core workouts I have been running injury free for the last 4 weeks now. Starting off at low mileage and gradually working my way up to around 8-9 miles. It has been hugely frustrating as I have felt fine during the runs but my number one priority is to get to the start line injury free.

Over the last two weeks I have had to juggle moving to Devon, starting a new job, finding somewhere to live and organising MdS stuff. It's been a whirlwind! I managed to fit my training in whenever I could, even running to my house viewings! On my first day off I left my new house with a 6kg backpack into glorious Devon sunshine and headed for the coast.

26.4 miles later I had ran through wind, rain, and hail but it was brilliant! Running is so much easier when the backdrop is as distracting as the Exe Estuary. I hope I can still appreciate the beauty of the Sahara during the gruelling moments and harness that to pull me through.

It's good to know my fitness has remained during the running lay off and it was a real confidence booster to get out there and get the miles in. Obviously, it's never ideal to get injured during training but I feel refreshed and at the end of the day this event was never going to be easy, your'e either going to do it or your'e not and there's no doubt in my mind that I can finish the Marathon des Sables.

From this point i'll carry on running steadily over the next week, take a visit to Braunton Burrows sand dunes and get some back to back middle distance running in but from that point on it will be about rest and preparation. It's so close now I can't wait!

On a really important note, I finally got round to setting up my fundraising campaign! I will be running the Marathon des Sables for the RSPB. The RSPB is an amazing organisation and charity that speaks up for nature in the UK and further afield, conserving wild places through science, campaigning and public engagement. We all have a responsibility to protect our green spaces and by sponsoring me on my relatively mini trans-saharan migration you will be 'Stepping up for Nature' and making me very happy! The smallest contribution makes a difference and will be greatly appreciated. Here's the link to my JustGiving page. Cheers!


Keep Right On

Jack

Devon Runner (Glasses!)



No comments:

Post a Comment